Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

5 Miles and 7 Habits on a Hot Day

Cover of "The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt a...
Cover via Amazon
My goal today was to get 5 miles in at a slow pace. Today is one of the hottest so far this year, so my running went inside for the treadmill. Don't get me wrong. 94 degrees with 15% humidity and a 30 mph wind is much better than anything I was accustomed to while growing up in Northeast Arkansas, but it's all relative up here in Montana, right?

I'm in the middle of two books right now. Three if you count my research papers (a never ending task! #procrastination). It never seems like a I can keep my attention with just one book at a time. The paperback book I'm reading is The Big Burn by Timothy Egan. I really enjoyed his book, The Worst Hard Time, which chronicles the Oklahoma and Texas Panhandles during the Dust Bowl, so I figured I'd really like this one now that I'm in Montana. The Big Burn chronicles the events leading up to the large fire of 1910 which took place in Western Montana and Northern Idaho. So far I'm only 90 pages in, but am really liking how Egan takes a step back to look at Teddy Roosevelt's involvement in establishing the U.S. Forest Service. We'll see how it goes!

Cover of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effectiv...
Cover of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
My next book is actually on audio. I took to listening to 40 minute podcasts fairly regular, but it has taken me a bit to latch on to the whole audio book trend. The book I started today is Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. So far I'm only 8 chapters in (of 107 on the audio version) and it's interesting. I don't retain as much with audio as I do with written word, but it has definitely given me something to think about. I usually try to keep at least one of the books I'm reading related to improving my management or personal skills. Since this books has been on best seller lists for almost 25 years, I figured there was something there worth hearing.

I'm still working back from having a month of down time after my wreck at the beginning of June, but I'm tired of sitting around. Today's running goal was a slow 5 miles. I finished in 48:00 on the treadmill. I prefer to run outside, but on the treadmill I keep better control of my pace and it keeps me from walking unless I absolutely have to. Today's run only included a half mile walking throughout the last two miles. 74 days until the Ragnar Relay in San Francisco!

No comments:

Post a Comment