Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Growing up, or Out growing?



I was struck in the back of the head today by a big sign that said...

"Graduation Ahead"

It's a scary feeling to know that I have 29 hours of classes left in college. 29! That's kind of like saying "In 9 years I will be thirrr...thirrr...30!" It gets kinda difficult to say. Sometimes reality gets ready to pitch and you ain't ready to swing.

It is a scary reality to know that I have to figure out what it is that I want to do for a job/career and be prepared to start finding a job in 6 months. Am I ready to take on that task? Do I have everything I need to be prepared to work in the cattle industry? Will I be successful?

I have an eternal fear of failing. I have spent all 20.5 years of my life working with cattle, learning all I could soak in, and dreaming of a life taking care of my own herd of cattle. But now I don't feel so sure...

In the back of my mind I know there will always be a need for cattle producers. For those that know about the cattle industry and have experience working. I know that there are not many 20 year old future-cattlemen that can say that they grew up on a ranch with 1,000 head of cows, worked on a stocker operation that handled 10,000 head of cattle every year, have had their own cattle, worked in the business end of an auction barn, spent an entire summer learning about feedyard management and operation, spent another summer on a ranch learning about pasture and range management, and have made cattle production their passion. I have done all that, and yet I still am worried that I will not be 'qualified' to find the job I have dreamed about most of my life.

So it comes down to the question: Have I been growing up learning all I need to be successful in the cattle industry, or is the cattle industry out growing the need for a person with my experience? Let's hope it's not the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment