Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Give a helping hand

People who know me even a little bit, know I’m not much of a night owl. After a lifetime on the ranch a few months of shipping starter cattle in the feedyards I am perfectly happy waking up at Stupid-Dark:30 to get a little extra work done. If I’m staying up until 2, or Heaven forbid pulling an all-nighter, it better be the middle of calving season for 100 head of synchronized heifers. College has a strange way of changing these habits, and it doesn’t exactly make me a happy camper.

To be honest I haven’t been sleeping much over the past few weeks. On the bright side, I’ve been sleeping in until 8 on the weekends! (Major lazy for this guy) Between a couple of projects in class, pending exams, and a practically void bank account, I’ve been seeing the wee hours of the morning more often than I care to, ever. If it weren’t for the treadmill in the apartment clubhouse, I’m pretty sure I would have lost my marbles by now.

Despite all of this discouraging worry and fretting over nothing, I found myself up until 1 the other night helping my roommate practice for his seminar presentation the next day. I hate being critical of people – not really one to be aggressive – but when I’m helping others critique their work or gain a better understanding of something, I feel…. more comfortable doing it. There’s a bit of adrenaline to it when I’m able to help someone out like that. This reminds me of the many times in undergrad when I could help my classmates study and I got to explain all the problems and scenarios related to cattle production. I guess that’s why classes are all the more frustrating when I feel lost.

Events like this just remind me what it’s like to see others “get” something when I’m able to help them through a problem. I need to get back to doing that.

Just a few thoughts. Let’s hope with Spring comes a few more trips to the pasture. I’m getting major cabin fever being in town every day. I don’t know how people do it.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck getting more sleep and making it outdoors more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I have the same problem of no sleep and being indoors while in college! I love being outside and being on the farm, and like you've said college can be hard on that! But good luck!

    ReplyDelete