Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ramblin Kind and Cattle Tours

Because my life is a never-ending playlist...
Now I'm on a greyhound bus, rolling hard and fast
I'm lookin at the world through the bottom of my glass
Said it's a good thing I got this photographic mind
'Cause I'm just your ramblin kind

Bleh, in the last 4 weeks, I've managed to leave the state in all but one. First it was my trip to Nashville, then my trip to Colorado, and last week I actually got to stay in Arkansas. I took a trip to Petit Jean Mountain just South of Morrilton, Arkansas. More specifically I was at Winrock Farms; home of some awesome Santa Gertrudis bloodlines. As much as I love to avoid that breed, yes we have bought some bulls of their's before.

I was with the Young Cattlemen's Leadership Class from the Arkansas Cattlemen's Association. We got a grand ole tour of the place, saw some of their Gerts, Red Angus, and commercial cattle. They also have a stocker backgrounding program and a natural beef feedout program. Interesting fact, Arkansas has our own Rockefellers, and they have made many contributions to the Arkansas cattle community. Learn more about em on the Winrock website.
Winrock feeds stocker cattle in bunks enclosed in catch pens along the road

Stocker cattle at Winrock

The YCLC group learning about feeding stocker calves

Winrock Farms

My travels are not done yet. This week I'm on the road again... I'll give you a hint. I'm headed out of state and your clue is "Rocky Top" (If I told ya already you can't answer first!)

2 comments:

  1. Why do you love to avoid that breed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh, did I back myself into a corner? :) I've just dealt with several Gerts that were "not so gentle", they will often be a large frame size, and they have a lot of brahman influence for today's markets. On the other hand they are very good mothers and will often raise some pretty large calves.

    ReplyDelete