Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Morning Sermon with the Honky Tonk Kid

I just found an interesting blog from Texas Country music artist Aaron Watson, Barbed Wire Halo. I've admired Aaron for quite some time. Being a fellow member of the church, I found it so unique that one would be the "Honky Tonk Kid," be able to play all the Hony Tonk music venues in Texas, and still be able to let his light shine. In Aaron's songs you won't find drinkin, and cussin, and long drunk nights backroading, but what you will find is fun nights of swing dancing and two-steppin, a love for his wife, and a love for what he does and where he comes from. And the song Barbed Wire Halo contains lyrics sure to make everyone take a step back to memory lane. On his album prior to the song, Billy Joe Shaver recites these verses:
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -- Philippians 3:12-14
These lines have become some of my most cherished and memorable thoughts. Every time these lines, followed by Barbed Wire Halo, come across my iPod, it's a strong reminder to take a moment for reflection on my life and to be thankful for the life with which God has blessed me. The album Barbed Wire Halo has become a Sunday Morning Sermon of sorts for me. Every Sunday while I'm out feeding horses or checking cattle I can turn on this album and just think. Just be in the moment. For me there's no place on this earth closer to God than in the middle of this great landscape.

I often struggle with reading my Bible on a regular basis. I'm doin good to get it in a few times each week. I pray often, but it's often short and sweet and in my thoughts. I'm not a big fan of gospel music, but ole AW sure puts it to a tune that hits right at home.

In the first post on BWH, Aaron poses the thought Why I Do What I Do, and includes this verse:
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord... -- Colossians 3:23
And it sure makes me think why am I doing what I do? And what's momma gonna think of it when she looks down on me? Am I puttin forth my best effort to make an impact? Maybe it's time to buck up boy (How many times have I told myself that?)...

To borrow some words from ole AW, Put your faith in action and make an impact in your corner of the world.
Well God bless Texas
And Deacon Shackleford
He read the bible seven times
And he believed every word
That ol' beat up leather book had been through it all
He sat on the back pew so he could chew him a chaw
Singin'
"Amazing Grace
How sweet the sound"
That saved a wrech like me
He carried candy for the kids in his Sunday dress coat
He'd take me fishin' after church
And taught me things I needed to know
No, Deacon didn't have a family
Lord knows he wished he did
He told the whole congregation that I was his grandkid

And today he joined up with Jesus
Wearing shiny pearl snaps
We sang a few gospel hymns
And then the soldier played taps
I bet he's walkin' with Pete down the street paved with gold
Showin' off his brand spanking new wings
And his barbed wire halo
--Barbed Wire Halo -- AW

3 comments:

  1. Loved this - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post! Thanks...I had no idea he wrote a blog. It definitely gave me a few things to think about!

    ReplyDelete