Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Man's Best Friend (and Teacher)

Pistol has been getting along great at the ranch lately. Spring has come and with it calving season. She loves to ride around in the pickup checking cows and whimpers every time we pass some calves running in the pasture. She wants so bad to jump out and round em up, but there'll be none of that unless it's planned...

She just can't stand to miss out on a day of checking cows

My dog's not only a great companion out here on the ranch where I spend most of my days to myself, but she's also a great teacher. Whether I am teaching cattle handling to someone new to ranching, or working with my new project horses, I have found I have so much more patience.

It's a "Where's Pistol" version of an old game. I've never seen a dog so attached to riding in the bed of a pickup

Gotta admit, I've not always been the most patient of people. "Let's get it done right, and get it done right now." But working with this very timid border collie pup, I have somehow learned a lil patience along the way. I notice this in the little things. Like not getting near as excited when things go awry in the corral on cattle working day, working with some unfamiliar horses who are all jazzed up, and even while explaining new situations to some help new to ranching.


New Project Horse!

Patience is learned, be it slowly sometimes, and I think I have Pistol to thank for much of my recent learning. Man's best friend is indeed sometimes his best teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Great to have a buddy like Pistol on the ranch.....my little ranch dog is a fluffy puff ball who thinks she's a cow dog:) Pups and kids definitely teach patience, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I think me and Pistol would get along just fine together... I really love riding in the bed of the truck too and hanging out with cows ;) I got to do some of that last night :)
    Nice horse. Could you tell a little more about... gelding, mare or stallion? breed? what will it be used for? how old? is that your brand on his shoulder? is he yours for keeps or are you training him for someone else?? thanks!
    *MeMoRy

    ReplyDelete