Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Livin Like There's No Tomorrow

It's those darned crossroads. They'll get ya everytime. I have stayed pretty busy traveling and moving around the past 5 years. It was just a few years ago that I was fresh out of high school, working 60 hours a week at the local Tractor Supply, then going home to work with the cattle at the house. Then it was off to college at Fayetteville, a move to Amarillo for work in a feedyard, then off to school at Stillwater, living in the mountains of Wyoming, and now in the High Plains of the Texas Panhandle once again at the feedyard. It is the choices made, roads traveled, and people met that make me who I am.

The one thing that has had the biggest influence on my life to this point is the loss of my mother before I turned 18. I was thinking about this today. When she was my age, she had only 16 years left to live and never saw it coming. What if I knew I only had 16 years left to live. Am I where I want to be? Have I seen and done what I want to accomplish? Where will my road take me?

I was raised in the church and my belief and faith have always been homegrown, but there's a point in everyone's life where they develop the roots of their faith in our Lord. If anyone in the world would despise the cattle industry, I should because it took my mother. But that couldn't be farther from reality. Cattle production is my passion. I want to make it part of my life. It is events like a close blow by the hoof of a steer or a charging heifer that shows how quickly I can get over that fence and makes me realize how strong my faith is. It is because of my faith and trust that God will watch over and take care of me that I am able to go to work every day. Each time I am sorting cattle or looking that stirred up calf in the eyes that God gives me the strength to meet the challenges of each day. I cannot live in fear that each mean calf or kick in the leg might be the end of me.

Psalm 27
 The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
 Live each day like you do not know what tomorrow may bring. Do something that you truly enjoy. Make a positive, lasting impression in people's lives. Be Honest and Humble. Work hard and always do your best. Find your passion and run with it. No one knows how long you will have to pursue your dreams.

My question is: Which turn will I take next?

5 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and really enjoy the posts. i came here through dairy farmers wife, whick I love to read too. I am sorry about your Mother, was there a post on her life as a cattle woman? did I miss it. I have to love a boy that loves his Mother, I have a son that loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My question is: Which turn will I take next?"

    Ryan, I'd say you answered your own question up there in your post:

    The one HE leads you to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anon, she was a great lady, but came into the cattle business when she married my father and grew to love it as much or more than he does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Don that is probably the answer, now I just have to figure out what that will be

    ReplyDelete