Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Moderation and Balance Kirstie!

I was recently made aware of comments made by actress Kirstie Alley during an interview on the Late Show with David Letterman. The Actress stated: “That's what I'm working on now, is getting all the chemicals out of my life, out of all the foods, the pesticides, the insecticides, the herbicides, fungicides, all the antibiotics, all the hormones that are in food. It really is what's making us fat because I've always eaten a lot and I wasn't fat.”

Fellow blogger Lance Zimmerman added his comments to the conversation in a recent post on his blog post The Beef U Eat: Who Made Celebrities Food Experts?

Before you make this an argument over antibiotics and hormones, let me clarify my point. I want to correct the misinformation that American Agriculture is making Americans fat. U.S. Farmers and Ranchers (conventional, organic, and natural) work hard every day to produce a safe, quality, nutritious, abundant, and affordable global food supply. We should not let celebrities use their popularity to tell consumers otherwise.

This is where some Agvocate effort comes into place. Celebrities like Kirstie Alley that are misinformed about the nutritional value of American Agriculture can spread a negative image quickly to all of their followers. I want to encourage my fellow Agvocates to use their resources to encourage Ms. Alley to be considerate of the facts next time she decides to place the blame for he weight problems on American Food Producers.

There are many resources out there food nutrition facts on American Food Producers. Post your source of information so others may read the facts rather than hear the myths from the misinformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment