Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Meat and Dairy as unhealthy as Honeybuns?


So Harvard School of Public Health came out with a new food guide pyramid that groups red meat and dairy products with sugars at the top of the pyramid. Their reasoning is because "they contain lots of saturated fat" and recommends reducing dairy consumption to 1 to 2 servings. Have they forgotten the fact that red meat supplies necessary proteins required for cell repair and maintenance. And Dairy prevents osteoporosis and bone health. I think someone is getting a little radical here. What do you think about this?


Quick Daily Beef Fact: One serving of beef provides 51% of the recommended daily protein needed in the diet. You need protein to support the growth and maintenance of bones, muscles and tissues, and to regulate and boost metabolism. Several studies indicate that beef is more satisfying than carbohydrates and can help people lose or maintain weight. Studies also show protein-rich diets boost the benefits of exercise and fuel muscle development, which is increasingly important for maintaining optimal health throughout your life. (Beef It's Whats for Dinner)

1 comment:

  1. I suppose if it is out of moderation then it could be just as harmful. However, meat and dairy (along with the other pyramid food groups) are indeed good for the body. We should be consuming at least 3 if not 4 servings a day of dairy products which contribute to a healthy diet. The benefits from the calcium help like you say prevent osteoporosis. Adding dairy to our diets also helps keep a healthy heart, prevent stroke and diabetes the list goes on.

    Now of course like with all great foods and great things Dairy should be eaten in moderation it is the whole portion distortion that makes it harmful. As for meat it is an excellent source of protein and better source than what a vegan can get from their diet. We should have 2-3 servings of meat and I am bad I know I really have a hard time getting 2 in. Don’t get me wrong I like meat. =0) I am just always on the go.

    There is a reason for the food pyramid there is a need for balance to keep our bodies in order and to keep us healthy. Apparently it is something that this study has forgotten. We need to have certain amounts of red meat which has high amounts of iron and it also has B12 which our body needs to prevent from becoming anemic, helps promote normal growth and development and even increase energy levels. Sure you could go and buy supplements but if we eat properly we wouldn’t need to supplement everything now would we?

    Of course we should eat our meats in moderation (just like everything else) and we should stay clear from processed meats and those that are preserved meats like bacon, salami, and even ham. They are tasty but high in salts and the nitrates that cause cancers. Shhh but I think a few pieces of bacon now and then won’t hurt. Both my grandfathers ranched for many years. Pretty much it is what I grew up around. And I never once seen my grandfathers or any of my uncles mistreat any of our cattle. I really liked your post by the way I came by it when twittering….

    ReplyDelete