Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Wyoming


So you know how since you were always a little kid, there was always one thing that you have always wanted to do? Well for me, its simple. I have always wanted to spend a summer working cattle in the mountains of Wyoming or Montana. Just spend some time there, while its warmer and not covered in snow, and just take in the awesomeness of some back country far, far away from civilization. Well, I get to do just that this summer!

I had a phone interview Thursday for an internship at Hyatt Ranch in Hyattville, Wyoming. Its 45 miles from the closest gas station or grocery store. In the Big Horn mountains, a cattle ranch with about 1,000 commercial Angus cows and 100 head of ranch horses!

After talking a while the guy offered me the position right on the spot. I wasn't expecting to get an offer in that phone call. Guess my resume and experience is fairly good on paper. He said what really struck him is that I really am looking to learn a lot about pasture management. I think I really have developed a passion to learn as much as I can about the cattle industry. I want to learn as much as I can about cattle management in different situations.

And he also asked me what is something that some of my employers would say is something that I need to work on. I was like 'crap!' I hate it when someone asks what is something that you would improve about yourself. I don't want to sound stupid dumb or self conceited. So I thought really quick and just told him that I have been used to only one type of operation for the majority of my life, so I am really kinda stuck in my ways of doing things. You know, its like its how I learned it, so that's what I think is the best way. But I think I want to challenge myself to learn different style of management and how to do things differently, just so I can figure what is the best for whatever situation I am in.

The internship is mostly range management: rotational grazing, intensive pasture management, field and hay irrigation. But for a couple of weeks I get to take cattle up in the mountains on horseback and stay out there with them! I can't imagine anything closer to what my dream job would be! Well, I guess it could be farther South where it doesn't get cold, but hey, this works too! I will definitely have more fun than I could ever imagine this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment