Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mind Cleansing Ranch Work

Had the weekend off this week and I have a terrible time sitting still for long; much less an entire weekend. A co-worker invited me out to his place to work some cows. We worked about 20 pairs, gave vaccines, dewormer, and I castrated the bull calves. Not sure if it's the meds or if I'm out of practice (I'll go with the first) but I seemed to be a lil rusty on the castrations.
My work on the University Farm with the yearling bulls is fun, but it's always a great day to work some young calves. We also set up a portable corral system. (Not sure why they're called portable if they're so heavy...) Everyone needs a break from work once in a while, a place to break away from the normal routine and get back to the basics of what we love. I just happen to love working with cattle.

5 comments:

  1. Um I'm officially jealous. :) sounds like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of portable corral did you use? Any pics?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No pics of the the corral. It was a priefert sweep with a chute alley. sorry no pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that feeling. Sometimes a change of scenery is just as good as a day off. Keep up the good work Ryan. I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything in Ag that's portable is heavy. I think if it was light it would be easy for us but WAY too easy for the animals. I volunteered at a horse rescue and the fences were such a pain. I don't know how many got bent and wrecked because they were not solid enough. To say doing what we do most of the time is a labor of love is an understatement. If you didn't love Ag the way we do, little things like that would be frustrating. But to me, at least I love ever minute of it! I'd rather hassle with a fence, shovel stalls, and lift hay than be in an office.

    ReplyDelete