Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Recruiting Ventures

Who knew there were so many people just looking for an internship simply to have something on a resume. Now, I know everyone has to get their start somewhere, but companies are not interested in spend time and money on interns that obviously have no interest at all in working in that company's field.

Maybe I should start over by saying my recruiting trip to Stillwater was great! It was so intriguing to be on the other side of the table so soon after graduation. Heck, I still seem to think it's summer vacation with no classes to keep up with, but trust me there is plenty of brain work going on here.

One thing that got me was that so many people said what they thought the recruiters wanted to hear. Many people would name drop and try to use that to get the interview. There are so many things I did not realize in college, that I see now that I am on the other side of the table. Here are a few tips for those of you out there looking for a job.
  • Honesty and Sincerity: So you may not have all the experience in the world or maybe this exact position isn't your dream job. Be honest and let the recruiter know what your goal is.
  • Name dropping can only get your foot in the door. Once you have that food in the door, you have to earn the job yourself.
  • Resumes and experience are great BUT how what contribution will you be making to help the company grow?
  • Promotion and Salary: Leave it at the door. You don't need to worry about that or even mention it till later down the road. Much later at that.
  • Make yourself STANDOUT. Recruiters may be conducting several interviews at any given location. Make yourself standout. Give them something they will remember.
Remember, recruiters are looking for people that will make their company grow. Someone who will mesh with the current employees and stimulate new ideas. Someone to be a leader and be able motivate the people around them.

I'm far from being a professional and knowing all there is to recruiting, but I sure wish someone had given me these tips while I was still in college.

Until next time, ARranchhand

1 comment: