Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

First week in the feedlot!

Someone forgot to tell me about that part of the deal. I have only been working in my new job at the feedlot for one week and I have not stopped learning. Northwest Texas is awful close to the “No Man’s Land” of Oklahoma, and it sure seems like things run at just a slower around here. Dalhart has been nothing short on the hospitality. In fact, the church family here has been making sure I have plenty to eat. Maybe their plan is to help me get into a size of jeans I can actually find on a store shelf instead of having to make a special order.

Five Rivers is nothing short on the safety training for new employees either. The first two and half days on the job were spent in safety training. 15-some-odd videos and feeling like I have signed my life away, I have covered everything from proper cattle handing, lock-out-tag-out for power sources on equipment, and proper lifting methods for heavy objects. Talk about a headache and a half. This does give me comfort in the fact that the company takes pride in employee and animal safety.

Read the entire post on Working Ranch Magazine's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment