Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Will you choose to support Agriculture?

Recently I became aware of a campaign by HSUS to purchase stock in businesses and restaurant food chains to influence and pressure change in their food procurement practices. (To read more view my previous post)

 Since that post I have done some researching and found that HSUS praises several restaurant chains and even a popular grocery chain for their decision to switch to cage free eggs. The following is a brief list and the attached links are releases by the HSUS praising the companies for making the change, many after pressure from HSUS stockholder pressures.



**Note, I do not believe this list to be complete. So any help identifying other chains making changes due to HSUS pressures would be greatly appreciated. Please provide a link with the information when posting.

I really do not want to make this an argument over what HSUS calls "battery vs cage free" in their attack on "factory farming" practices. Rather I believe it is time for American Agriculturalists to step up and stop this organization from painting the image that many standard industry practices today are clearly out of step with the sentiments of most Americans who do not want to see the animals they eat treated inhumanely. Since when is it acceptable for free speech in America to include an organization to slander an entire industry's good image with consumers? Are you going to let this organization to misinform consumers about this industry? I know I have a great passion and personal investment in Animal Agriculture and I do not want this to happen.

Take this challenge: If one of the above mentioned businesses is present in your community, take the opportunity to speak to the manager and ask if they are aware of their company's recent choices and the actions of HSUS to control livestock production. Share your personal story with this person. If nothing else they will become more informed on the issues and maybe even pass the word up the chain. Ask consumers that you come into contact with what their view of Animal Agriculture is, and share a good word with them as well. If we step up as a community, we CAN have a great impact.

4 comments:

  1. I have stepped up Ryan! I started two months ago choosing not to support those companies HSUS owns stock in. What really set me off this past week was finding Texas US Representative Shelia Jackson Lee decided to support as a co-sponsor of H.R. 4377. A large majority of her constituents are from inner city of Houston with poverty line incomes. She is also an Ex Officio Board Member of Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. I don't think she understands. So I've collected and printed a series of documents to send along with a letter asking her to withdraw her co-sponsor position of the Farm Animal Cruelty Act.
    I've written a State Senator about a tenured professor at University of Texas - El Paso and his extreme Animal Rights Views and who he brings into his classroom to teach our young people.

    I will not stop, I will not waiver, I do not want people to loose jobs or go hungry in my country. I will not waiver ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a frequent fan of Sonic, but now it has been a couple months since I have been there. There are other fast food chains that show more support towards agriculture and therefore they will be getting my support.

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim thank you so much for be a proactive member of the agriculture community!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, can you share any information you have for businesses that have stepped up to support animal agriculture and conventional production methods?

    ReplyDelete