Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Mike Rowe Works- What is in America's Future?

I found this posting on mikeroweworks.com a few days ago and am really intrigued by the way he puts this thought out there. I think it is worthy of sharing. Some more Food for Thought on our Food Production System.


I’m really bugged about something and I’ve decided to throw it out there. Here’s my question – Are the American farmers heading towards the same fate as America’s auto industry? I know some of you are already thinking “What the heck is this guy talking about?” but just stay with me for a few minutes.


I live in California and I’m one of those people who adopt abandoned dogs. I’ve sent my $25 checks to the Humane Society after watching particularly awful commercials on TV showing little pets horribly mistreated and suffering. I completely support spaying and neutering of animals in most instances and would adopt an abandoned pet before I’d ever get one from a breeder or pet store. I don’t eat veal but I’m not a vegetarian. I’m not the only one who doesn’t get a vegetarian who still wears leather belts, jackets or shoes or carry leather purses but that, too, is another story. Those are my choices and I’m not telling anyone else what to do – it’s a free country. I didn’t vote for the proposition they’re talking about because it didn’t make sense to me. I couldn’t buy into the emotion of seeing animals in cages and using the worst examples of some unethical people as the end-all be-all for every farmer in the state – passing that measure would negatively affect our food sources and our farmers.

I happen to believe that using emotion to manipulate voters is just plain unethical and wrong. Who wouldn’t get choked up to see a mistreated animal? And look, I’m sure that some farmers use methods that are not humane. I’m equally sure that there are many who don’t. Just like all blonds aren’t dumb and all polish people aren’t stupid, the few bad eggs shouldn’t represent the many good ones (sorry – I just couldn’t resist saying that). Should we put every good citizen in prison and let the prisoners run free? Just like you can’t say that every person who owns a puppy is going to treat it like the bozo down the street that runs a puppy mill, you can’t say that all farm animals are abused and all farmers are to blame. I don’t believe that keeping a chicken in a cage, free from bad weather or predators and feeding them well and making sure they stay healthy is a bad thing. My grandparents had chickens. I know what the chickens did all day and what they were happy doing and it didn’t include much else besides eating, “talking” to all their pals and laying eggs. Seriously (no disrespect to all the chickens out there).
 
To read the entire post, click here.
 
He's got a point there. HSUS has done a good job of using emotion to appeal to viewers and pleading with them to donate to their cause. And in picking to play off the name of good local animal shelters, they do pretty well on concealing their lobbying efforts and lack of spending for animal rescue with the general public. A site that has been monitoring HSUS activity is HumaneWatch.org, you might want to check that one out.
 
What are your thoughts on the these statements? I think we need more people with Mike Rowe's social status to step up and take a stand behind America's great food producers. I am a big fan and admire the fact that he is not afraid to spend a day working with the average American. Maybe it gives some more of an appreciation for our hard work. Thanks Mike Rowe!

3 comments:

  1. While this article appears on mrW it was written by SRW a frequent contributor to the site. Thanks! S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, sorry I guess I never directly mentioned Mike Rowe as the author but failed to mention that he wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thing I thought when I read this was: Whao there buddy. Well I don't know anything about the auto industry, but I do know the animal rights people are nuts and I am pretty darned sure that no amount of TV commercials or 'die ins' by HSUS et la is going to convince all but a tiny segment of the USA to go vegan/vegetarian. That said, I did vote yes on the California bill because it required chickens to be able to stand in their cages and turn around. It required them not to crap on each other and to not have their beaks clipped. I've worked with lots of chickens before on pasture and in confinement and I know that California law did nothing but target the worst of the confinement operations. Well they went off to the South anyway.

    ReplyDelete