Want to hear more about agriculture, food, farming and ranching? Be sure to follow all of my posts and updates on my other blog AgricultureProud.com or on Facebook and Twitter.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

101+ Reasons to Eat Meat!

I stumbled upon a list of "101 reasons to be a vegetarian" today, and it got me to thinking. In an effort to learn more about why Animal Agriculture is important, one may ask "Why is meat important?" With all of this chatter about eating meat versus eating vegetarian, there are plenty of facts about why we should go either way. We all know that these facts are out there. But it's hard to put them all in one spot.

With the help of a reply from @ksfarmboy I thought of the challenge. Let's get together and create our list of "101 reasons to eat meat". I am sure there is a list out there, but I want to make this one bigger. We need these facts at hand for our conversations with consumers, and all in one place. (This goes along with my effort to share my story of animal agriculture. See previous posts.)

My hope is that we can make this successful, so let's get it organized. I have created a group on Facebook, 101 Reasons to Eat Meat, and a hashtag on Twitter, #101toEatMeat, and I need the help of the Ag community. Post your facts, videos, and links on why eating meat is an important part of the human diet, why meat production is beneficial to the environment, why meat consumption/production is safe, and other related topics. Be sure to include your sources! We want to keep this factual, honest, and trustworthy.

So get to it! Give the reasons why you eat meat!

1 comment:

  1. I love your post! I have so enjoyed following your blog since spring of last year.

    As each year passes I am more impressed with your age group majoring in any area of agriculture. I have complete faith you will carry us forward to the next generation.

    I have gone back to work full time this past fall in our family trucking business so for me to do the research will be difficult. But on the beef side I have thought out of the box for one who enjoys a grain fed ribeye! There is the grass fed beef with a host of great things available to the consumer who chooses this side of our sector of agriculture. Here are a couple of links to get you started on where you might find the actual research on grass fed beef nutrition. I'm not sure how far you are from this conference, sale and seminar but what a great weekend of getting information on grass fed beef.

    www.grassfedexchange.com

    Then a site for purchasing grass fed meats. Great information on the site, too!

    http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

    Then one link made me go back and make sure you said meat. One of the best meats one can eat in terms of protein per lb and less fat is rabbit meat. Of course we as a country are hung up on Bugs Bunny, Easter Bunny, etc. I enjoy a good barbecue rabbit on occasion! You'll find some limited information on one link. Because of my contacts within ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Assoc) I'll find some great documented research on rabbit. Rabbit is the one meat promoted in the third world as an easy to raise and fast growing protein source. But I'll get some great links and research for you. Because of where we lived at the time I started the kids in 4-H with rabbits. At one point we had 100. And we showed all over the nation. Now it is almost exclusively showing cattle even with the kids in college.

    A great project and I look forward to becoming a fan of your new page on Facebook!

    Kim Watkins
    Flying J&L Ranch - Santa Gertrudis and Lowline Angus

    ReplyDelete